Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Question about veneer application

  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question about veneer application

    Has anyone tried to apply a new hardwood veneer layer over old veneer?

    I bought some Valencia 846b cabs that need restoration and I also bought some walnut veneer (no backing) to acomplish this.

    This veneer is thin and it should be fairly easy to work with. I'm planning to cover the areas that are currently missing veneer, or chips, deep scratches, etc. with plastic wood.

    I also have a router but I'm thinking its use will not be needed if I can cut the new veneer with a box cutter, sissers or utility knife. I think I can square up the edges after glueing using a wood block and sandpaper.

    I'm I nuts?

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Question about veneer application


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Question about veneer application

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Has anyone tried to apply a new hardwood veneer layer over old veneer?

    I bought some Valencia 846b cabs that need restoration and I also bought some walnut veneer (no backing) to acomplish this.

    This veneer is thin and it should be fairly easy to work with. I'm planning to cover the areas that are currently missing veneer, or chips, deep scratches, etc. with plastic wood.

    I also have a router but I'm thinking its use will not be needed if I can cut the new veneer with a box cutter, sissers or utility knife. I think I can square up the edges after glueing using a wood block and sandpaper.

    I'm I nuts?
    Hi Robert, You won't need a router to apply veneer.A very sharp(New Blade) utility knife a veneer roller,contact cement,and patience do a dry run you only get one shot with contact cement.When you trim the veneer hold the blade at 45 deg.so the cut is back from the edge a bit.Sand edges with a very fine paper 400-600 grit and then Finnish with stain,polyurethane,etc...

    I had just read a good thread over at LH on applying veneer.I think Rick posted it (Saeman) Good Luck with your project.

    Kind Regards !!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Question about veneer application

    Robert,

    Yes, you should be able to go over the old veneer quite successfully, provided it is smooth & even & no edges are lifting. Altec Best is right....you only get one go when you use contact cement. I'd suggest using thin flat spacers (50mm X 2mm thick)....place these on the original surface, then lie the new veneer on top & position it correctly. Finally lift one edge of the new veneer & remove the first spacer & glue down. Then lift the rest of the veneer & glue down successively as you remove all the spacers. Here's a link to the Klipsch forum where I have just reveneered my La Scala's. <meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s
    Most of this was veneered onto new ply, but the dog house & inside of the side walls was applied over existing veneer.

    Good luck,
    John

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Question about veneer application

    Yeah, years ago I did a lot of veneering and formica work with contact cement.
    The wood block technique always worked. I'm thinking, wonder if I was dreaming but I thought wax paper worked too....some kinds of slick paper worked....been a long time. We used to use these trim cutters you could adjust nicely for veneer work, they weren't expensive....I was better and 10 times faster just going free hand with a matte knife blade than anything else.

    P.S. several times you would screw up and misapply....but sometimes you can get out of it if yer not all the way down...don't panic...we had a hypodermic needle filled with lacquer thinner and gingerly squirted it into the joint and slowly pulled it back off. Then we'd swear at each other.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Question about veneer application

    I was advised by a wood-veneer seller that modern veneers are very thin and for home application he recommended that I have a paper backing applied to prevent adhesive bleed-through. He gave me the name of a business that does this application.

    Regards, Marshall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.